Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Girl on the Train

Dziewczyna z pociągu - Paula Hawkins

There’s a lot to say, so let me start with a brief synopsis, not mine:

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

First a warning - this book is not one to be started at night, before work, on break or any other time where your time is limited and you won’t be able to finish it. You will not be able to put the book down and if you do, it will drive you to distraction.

Anytime you start a book and in your first few pages you learn your narrator is an alcoholic drunk who blacks out, you know you’re dealing with an unreliable narrator in the truest sense of the word. Some people do not like them. I have a friend who doesn’t. So a warning - if you don’t, this is not the book for you.

I feel talking too much about the plot will spoil it so I will leave it alone. The above synopsis is enough. This book is unbelievably twisty, surprising and extremely well done. What I am surprised at is it’s a great character study. In my opinion, this is an unusual mystery in that if you are good at reading people, as opposed to just piecing together clues, you’ll be able to figure out what happened as things go and not have to wait for the shocking nail biting ending. I think that is what’s causing this book to separate itself from a standard mystery/thriller, thus generating all the buzz.

Overall - this book is excellent and definitely lived up to the hype.