Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

On Her Father's Grave

On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River Novella Book 1) - Kendra Elliot

How much of a story can you tell in 100 pages?

Quite a bit actually.

Brief synopsis:

Stevie Taylor had left her sleepy Oregon hometown for a more exciting life. But after her police chief father passes away, the LAPD cop returns to Solitude and signs on as a patrol officer, hoping to heal from her loss…and from the horrific things she’s seen in the city.

In Solitude, everyone knows everyone else’s business—and, to Stevie’s dismay, local gossip soon ties her to the new police chief and a man from her past. Tragedy then shakes up the small town when a teenager dies after taking a strange new drug. Now, the seasoned LA cop must hunt down the dealer while investigating the most important case of her life, one that could divide her tranquil town.

This is a novella, a mini-mystery, part of a larger mystery arc.

Stevie is likable and relatable MC. I like the larger mystery arc idea and honestly would like to see something similar done with more cozies. This was good. A quick read. The larger mystery comes into play about 50% of the way in and my interest was sparked. There are four more novellas, and two authors alternate writing them. I will probably continue with the series to see how the larger mystery turns out.