Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Hope Divided (The Loyal League)
Alyssa Cole
Progress: 26 %
The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg
Progress: 55 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

The Art Whisperer

The Art Whisperer - Charlotte Elkins, Aaron Elkins

When art conservator Alix London spots a forgery, she knows trouble will follow. So she's understandably apprehensive when her connoisseur's eye spots something off about a multimillion-dollar Jackson Pollock painting at Palm Springs's Brethwaite Museum.

Alix is already under fire, the object of a vicious online smear campaign. Now the Brethwaite's despicable senior curator, obsessed with the maximization of "monetized eyeballs" angrily refuses to decommission the celebrated Pollock piece. But it's only when a hooded intruder attacks Alix in her hotel room that the real trouble begins...

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

I listened to about 75% of this one, alternating with print.  Kate Rudd's narration is on point and makes listening enjoyable. She nails the different accents and voices, so you never confuse characters- something that has happened in the past for me with audio books.

Three reasons I'm still reading this series:

1. No love triangle. The Elkins ( a husband/wife team I believe) are able to create romantic tension and drama without introducing a third party.

2. The art lessons. Sometimes the culture comes off as snooty in the book, actually at times it was grating. I've mentioned it in my other reviews. But the use of actual art you can look up as references in the mysteries is just cool.

3.  Research. There's a scene towards the end of the mystery where you can tell a lot of research was done.

I'm referring to  the scene explaining why cutting brake lines on cars is not as simple as it was back in the day, and why it is rarely used in murder mysteries anymore. Seems it's just not plausible with the design of today's vehicles. However it can be done, and it is explained how.

(show spoiler)

It's explained in simple way so as to be accessible to the reader, which I appreciated. This is something done in each of the books so far. I like the reader being treated intelligently even about a subject we may not be familiar with.

All in all a great story, entertaining, educational. Hopefully the series will continue.