Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Progress: 2 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Midwife of Venice

The Midwife of Venice - Roberta Rich

Hannah Levi is renowned throughout Venice for her gift at coaxing reluctant babies from their mothers using her secret “birthing spoons.” When a count implores her to attend his dying wife and save their unborn son, she is torn. A Papal edict forbids Jews from rendering medical treatment to Christians, but his payment is enough to ransom her husband Isaac, who has been captured at sea. Can she refuse her duty to a woman who is suffering?

Very good read.

The plotting in this book is relentless! Nearly every chapter is a cliffhanger. There are numerous twists. Just when you think you have settled in for a smoother ride, something unthinkable happens. It was exciting to read.

Also what a well done historical novel. There is an education here as regards Jewish culture during Venice at that time, glossary included for any unfamiliar terms. Also included are numerous references for further reading.

Finally, the heart of this story. The book starts off with our married couple separated because Joseph has gone off to find fortune. They argue out of love, Hannah fearing for him and Joseph wanting to give her a better life. Joseph winds up being captured and held for ransom. The book alternates between both their POV, so you see them each fight to return to each other. These two are firecely loyal and I applaud how great a love story this wound up being about a couple married for some years. It's not the norm, but it is convincingly done here and touching.

There is a second book I will definitely be reading.

Highly recommend.