Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Some Danger Involved

Some Danger Involved - Will Thomas

Historical Mystery at it's best! This book pulled me out of my mystery slump and reminded me why I love the genre.

In the author's note, Will Thomas states that he noticed recent Victorian mysteries  were predominantly written by women and classified as "cozies". He wanted to see what would happen if he created a dangerous detective and set him in "the world of Queen Victoria and Jack the Ripper". Out of this wish,  Cyrus Barker, Enquiry Agent, was born. His Watson-like assistant and narrator of the novel, Thomas Llewelyn, is our eyes and ears as we learn some of Barker's mysterious past. This book is filled with characters that are unique and engaging.

In this book, the Jewish community in 19th century London takes center stage. A young Jewish scholar has been murdered and it appears as if the murderer has a larger goal in mind of turning London society against the Jewish community. It's up to Barker and his assistant to avert disaster. I learned a lot reading this book, especially about the pogroms of eastern Europe. The historical aspects are strong but there is such a solid mystery weaving it all together, it never reads dry. It was the perfect blend of history and mystery.

The writing is solid. This book was so easy to read and great to just fall back into after a break.

I'm so happy this is a series.

Highly recommend.