Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1) - Sarah J. Maas

I've been wanting to read this YA series for some time after reading solid reviews on the story arc. I started Throne of Glass but then read that it would be best to start with the novellas to give you background on the main character, Celeana Sardothien. This is the first of the novellas.

Celeana Sardothien.is a sixteen year old assassin in the world created by Sarah J. Mass. This is a fantasy world, but there is no magic for it has been outlawed (?) or done away with by the current ruler.  Yeah, none of this is clear in this novella, but I trust it will all be cleared up at some point in the series. Celeana was raised to be an assassin and is considered the best in the Assassin's guild she is a part of. She is conceited and arrogant to the point of being obnoxious.  What makes you not punt the book across the room at some of her lines is that underneath her bravado and immaturity is still a surprisingly idealistic teenager. Though an assassin, she still has a strong albeit skewed sense of right and wrong. I liked her. Which is why I'll stick with the series.

In this short installment, Celeana is sent on an assignment to deal with a Pirate Lord who she believes has killed members of her guild. What follows reveals an underlying mystery I take it will be carried over throughout the five novellas. The mystery piqued my interest. I'm curious to see how it is resolved.

Promising start.