Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Big Chili
Julia Buckley
Progress: 34 %
Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Claudia Gray
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

The Killing Game

The Killing Game - Iris Johansen
Author: Iris Johansen
Series: Eve Duncan #2
Rating: 3.5 stars

Book Blurb:

The killer knows Eve Duncan all too well. He knows the pain she feels for her murdered daughter, Bonnie, whose body has never been found. He knows that as one of the nation's top forensic sculptors she'll insist on identifying the nine skeletons unearthed on a bluff near Georgia's Talladega Falls. He knows she won't be able to resist the temptation of believing that one of those skeletons might be her daughter's. But that is only the beginning of the killer's sadistic game. He wants Eve one on one, and he'll use his ace in the hole to make sure she complies. And he won't stop playing until he claims the prize he wants most: Eve's life.

This book had been sitting on my shelf at home for who knows how long. I'm trying to commit myself to reading down my TBR. I was also in the mood for a quick mystery/thriller and I must say, this fit the bill.

I read and liked the first book in the series centering around a woman who does forensic facial reconstruction. She chose the field after the death of her young daughter at the hands of a serial killer. Her daughter's body was never found and this is her way of bringing closure to other families that she herself did not receive.

Like in the last book, the mystery was twisty. I had guessed who it was but then was thrown off track. The thriller had enough suspense to keep me turning the pages.

Eve is a likable character. I did not care for the romance in the story. Joe, her potential love interest, seemed way too possessive for me to be comfortable. Usually that's a red flag and not attractive. The introduction of a wayward smart mouthed teen with a heart of gold was a nice touch.

I haven't made up my mind if I will continue with the series. I might. I like these books because they are quick, satisfying thriller reads and not terribly gory and explicit like some other series.