Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Big Chili
Julia Buckley
Progress: 34 %
Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Claudia Gray
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Reboot

Reboot - Amy Tintera
Author: Amy Tintera
Series: Reboot #1
Rating: 3 stars

Quick Review: Pretty solid YA dystopian novel about teenagers who "reboot" after dying and are forced to be soldiers. So... zombie soldiers.

Book Blurb: Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

This was a quick read. The story is standard dystopian. It's well done, but nothing really distinguishes it from other YA dystopian novels and it's a bit predictable. The plot moves quickly and the humor and love story aren't bad. This was missing something for me. But it wasn't a bad read. So I gave it three stars.

I would read this author again, but I'm not motivated to read the next in the series.