Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

How the Light Gets In
Louise Penny
Progress: 57/405 pages
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President - Candice Millard

Author: Candace Millard

Narrator: Paul Michael

Rating: An enthusiastic 5 stars

This account of the events leading up to and following the assassination of President James A. Garfield was a great read.

I feel like this book is what non-fiction is about - learning things you didn't know, an author telling things in such a way so as to keep you reading as well as being informative.  This was so good. I did not know of the connections between Alexander Graham Bell and the events following the shooting. I didn't know President Garfield did not die as a result of the shooting wound.  At work before patients, my boss, who is a surgeon, and I discussed the President's care as detailed in the book.  We had an interesting conversation about how far medicine has come. One hundred years from now,  I wondered if our medicinal practices will be met with the horror I felt reading this.

Not only was this a great book in terms of explaining events but I enjoyed getting to know Garfield and his family. I especially enjoyed reading his letters. The man could speak. He had quite  a way with words. I kept wanting to underline things he said. HIs beliefs about equality and trying to heal the nation after the war were moving.

The narration was well done, it was easy to listen to. Mr. Michael did a good job.

In short : this is an excellent read, I recommend it. A friend knew I had mixed feelings towards reading non-fiction and told me this book will make me a convert. She was right. I have to thank her.