Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Big Chili
Julia Buckley
Progress: 34 %
Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Claudia Gray
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Dragonflight

Dragonflight - Anne McCaffrey

Author: Anne McCaffrey

Series: Dragonriders of Pern #1
Rating:  4 stars

Book Blurb: To the nobles who live in Benden Weyr, Lessa is nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her father and took over his lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.

But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa’s world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world. . . .

This was a quick read. I read this book during a 5 hour drive home from a weekend away.  It kept me glued to my tablet, eager to see what would happen next.

I liked the book. Though I had a hard time connecting with the characters. Lessa is smart but she is manipulative as all get out.  F'lar, her mate, is likable, but he keeps shaking Lessa when things go wrong. She messes up - he shakes her.  She keeps secrets - he shakes her. Stop. Shaking. Her.

The strength of the story lies in the world building and the character's connections with their dragons. It's well done. Tension is provided by the approaching Threads. Threads are spores that fall from the atmosphere every couple hundred years and destroy organic life on the planet, but which are stopped by the dragons burning them. Stuggling to recognize their return and gathering the dragons to stop them  - this plot was great for a book. I'm wondering how it's able to sustain interest over 20+ books. I will probably read on to see.