Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg
The Sunne in Splendour
Sharon Kay Penman
Progress: 55 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Book Haul from my Giveaway Card!

Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) - Lois McMaster Bujold The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly The Dragon Variation - Sharon Lee, Steve Miller
— feeling excited

Ok. So after winning HFK's Amazon card giveaway (still doing a happy dance over that :) )  I went and took a hard look at my to-buy list.

I stopped just short of graphs and flow charts (what's funny is you think I'm kidding)  before I settled on these three books. These are all books that I have been dying to get.

Shards of Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold - I'm finally going to start the Vorkosigan series! This is on every "Best of Sci-Fi" list that I've read. I'm telling you - these books taunt me in bookstores, at the library, on the net - If one more person or webpage tells me to read this series - so finally I'm gonna see what all the hype is about. I read the sample and it looks good - I got pulled right into the story.

The Dragon Variation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller  is an ominibus that includes three of the books of the Liaden Universe - Local Custom, Scout's Progress, and Conflict of Honors. I've been told it's a good starting place. What drew me to these books? 1) It's received good reviews online and amongst my friends and family. 2) It's been described as Georgette Heyer in space.  3) I read the forward of the omnibus written by the authors, explaining why they write and their philosophy of writing this series and it made me smile.

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly  - I picked this up because the sample was solid.  I also like that it's well reviewed and that it's a sweeping historical fiction saga. There's three books- though each one is a tome at 700+ pages. I tried to get it at the library but upon seeing it,  decided I would buy a paperback or Kindle because I didn't want to lug the book around. I'm excited to read it.

Yet another thanks to HFK!!!!!!

Happy reading guys!