Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) - Lois McMaster Bujold
Author: Lois McMaster Bujold
Series:   Vorkosigan Saga Book 2
Rating: 4 stars

Favorite Quote:  " 'Well, I don't hate him. Can't say as I worship him, either.' She paused a long time, and looked up to meet her mother's eyes squarely. 'But when he's cut, I bleed.' "

Quick Review: A solid beginning to an interesting space opera series.

Book Blurb: When Cordelia Naismith and her survey crew are attacked by a renegade group from Barrayar, she is taken prisoner by Aral Vorkosigan, commander of the Barrayan ship that has been taken over by an ambitious and ruthless crew member. Aral and Cordelia survive countless mishaps while their mutual admiration and even stronger feelings emerge.

This was  a fun, solid read. It wasn't as light as I thought it would be, but engrossing as I wasn't tempted to move on to other print books while reading it. Ms. Bujold has a unique writing style that I enjoyed. There were things that I read that felt like they hit me out of nowhere, forcing me to admire or be touched by an expression or a phrasing. The above mentioned quote being one example. I enjoyed the science fiction aspect. I enjoyed the world building as well as the political intrigue and I also enjoyed the love story that was at the heart of the book.

Cordelia is a likable character. She's your classic strong and resourceful. She's not a damsel in distress - she'll find her way.  Yet, she was still feminine and emotional. I liked the mix. Aral is a smart and honorable character. I liked that our heroes were not teenagers or even twenty year olds. Their maturity added to the novel. There was no unnecessary love triangle - just two adults trying to sort out their feelings.

The book moved along at an even pace, never dragging. I always wanted to read one more chapter.

Another plus is I can see how this book can stand on it's own while leaving you with a, well what happens next? curiosity that impels me to buy the next book.

All in all a solid sci-fi/space opera read.

I will definitely be reading more in this series.