Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Big Chili
Julia Buckley
Progress: 34 %
Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Claudia Gray
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

The Yard

The Yard - Alex Grecian

Author: Alex Grecian

Series:  The Murder Squad #1

Rating: 4.5 stars

Narrator: Toby Leonard Moore

Book Blurb: Victorian London is a cesspool of crime, and Scotland Yard has only twelve detectives—known as “The Murder Squad”—to investigate countless murders every month. Created after the Metropolitan Police’s spectacular failure to capture Jack the Ripper, The Murder Squad suffers rampant public contempt. They have failed their citizens. But no one can anticipate the brutal murder of one of their own . . . one of the twelve . . .When Walter Day, the squad’s newest hire, is assigned the case of the murdered detective, he finds a strange ally in the Yard’s first forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Kingsley. Together they track the killer, who clearly is not finished with The Murder Squad . . . but why?

I really enjoyed this book.

This is a police procedural set after the Jack the Ripper murders. I thought that was an interesting take on things -  watching the Yard regroup from the inside. New leader, new procedures, new way to investigate things.

The key to this book was the characters. I really liked the characters. The members of "the Murder Squad" all have their own personalities, backgrounds, motivations and I enjoyed learning about each of them. The ensemble works. My favorite character was Kingsley the forensic pathologist. His backstory in particular brought tears to my eyes. I'm curious to see what happens to Henry. And Hammersmith is mysterious and definitely one that caught my attention.

The procedural was tense. Very tense. This was great as an audio book because it kept me wanting to walk more just to make sure everyone was ok. At times they weren't, which only increased the tension of the book.

The narration was so well done. The characters all had distinct voices and I never wondered who was speaking even when it wasn't indicated in the narrative. Mr. Moore could read me the phonebook. Great, great voice.

I've already started the next book on my last walk.