Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Hope Divided (The Loyal League)
Alyssa Cole
Progress: 26 %
The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg

The Secret Keeper

The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton

Author: Kate Morton

Rating: 3.5 stars

Book Blurb: During a party at the family farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson has escaped to her childhood tree house and is dreaming of the future. She spies a stranger coming up the road and sees her mother speak to him. Before the afternoon is over, Laurel will witness a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family and especially her mother, Dorothy.      Now, fifty years later, Laurel is a successful and well-regarded actress, living in London. She returns to the family farm for Dorothy’s ninetieth birthday and finds herself overwhelmed by questions she has not thought about for decades. From pre-WWII England through the Blitz, to the fifties and beyond, discover the secret history of three strangers from vastly different worlds—Dorothy, Vivien, and Jimmy—who meet by chance in wartime London and whose lives are forever entwined.

Though not as good as The Forgotten Garden, which is still Kate Morton's best novel in my opinion, this was good. Not great. But good.  It loses a star because I could not stand the main character, Dorothy(Dolly as she is referred to in the book). She was the reading equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. Selfish, manipulative, self- absorbed- argh. The story is well written, transporting with a monster twist at the end. I figured out the twist at about 360 pages in but it was still enjoyable to keep reading to see if I was right.  It's a satisfying ending, if bittersweet. The well done mystery of what really happened to Vivien, Dolly and Jimmy will appeal to mystery fans and the well written narrative will hook you if you just like reading a good turn of phrase.

The book is a tad slow, it could've come in at about 100 pages less and not lost anything.

This was an enjoyable read and I'd recommend it to fans of historical fiction.

I still have The Distant Hours to read to be all caught up on Morton's books before her new release comes out later this year. I look forward to it.