Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

What Angels Fear

What Angels Fear - C.S. Harris

Author: C.S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr #1

Rating: 4 stars

Book Blurb: It's 1811, and the threat of revolution haunts the upper classes of King George III's England. Then a beautiful young woman is found raped and savagely murdered on the altar steps of an ancient church near Westminster Abbey. A dueling pistol discovered at the scene and the damning testimony of a witness both point to one man, Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, a brilliant young nobleman shattered by his experience in the Napoleonic Wars.

Now a fugitive running for his life, Sebastian calls upon his skill as an agent during the war to catch the killer and prove his own innocence. In the process, he accumulates a band of unlikely allies, including the enigmatic beauty Kat Boleyn, who broke Sebastian's heart years ago. In Sebastian's world of intrigue and espionage, nothing is as it seems, yet the truth may hold the key to the future of the British monarchy, as well as to Sebastian's own salvation....

I had been hearing too many good things about this series to pass it over any longer. I see what all the fuss is about.  While a bit more violent than I expected, this was a solid start to a historical mystery series. Good characters, a fast moving plot and a solid mystery made for an entertaining read. The writing is crisp and sharp - I enjoyed it.

Sebastian's unusual abilities displayed in this book are explained through a rare syndrome called Bithil Syndrome- an explanation of which is included in the author's notes. It was interesting learning something new and I look forward to seeing how Ms.Harris will utilize this syndrome in future installments.

The characters are a mixed bag and realizing they all can't be the murderer, you're wary of a few, wondering what will happen in the future. The loose ends in the complex plot were not all tied up, carrying you nicely into the next book which I have on hold at the library, to be picked up next week.

All in all, a good read.