Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Blue Castle
L.M. Montgomery
Progress: 68 %
David Copperfield (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Charles Dickens, Radhika Jones
Progress: 32 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb

Author: It's nice to finally meet you Robin Hobb

Series: Farseer Trilogy #1

Rating: 4 stars

Book Blurb:  Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father’s gruff stableman. He is treated as an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him secretly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz’s blood runs the magic Skill—and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family.

As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

This was a good start.  A little slow at places, but such is world building and thankfully, your patience is rewarded. The last hundred pages or so are quite tense. All your characters are in place, you know them well and you're invested- so I found my heart pounding when some of my favorites were in danger.  I had no clue how things would be resolved even though I knew there were sequels, meaning Fitz had to figure his way out... somehow...

Things I enjoyed:

1.  The Wit, the power Fitz possesses to communicate with animals- loved this. I loved his two dogs Nosy and Swifty. I was just as attached to them as I was to any of the other characters in the book. And I got a lil choked up at the end.

2.  The larger story arc.  Something clearly is amiss in the land with all the raids going on. This book resolves some story threads and leaves others dangling. I still have unanswered questions so I have to continue the series.

3.  Fitz is a likable character. He's well drawn - I felt lonely when he did, smiled when people stood up for him and hurt when he felt rejected by those around him. I kept rooting for him throughout the story.

4.  The world building is well done. It was easy to lose yourself without giving yourself a headache trying to figure it all out. My kind of fantasy.

In conclusion, I'd recommend this book to those that like a good fantasy tale.