Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Hope Divided (The Loyal League)
Alyssa Cole
Progress: 26 %
The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg
Sharon Kay Penman
Progress: 55 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Moving Target

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Force Awakens) - Cecil Castellucci, Jason Fry, Phil Noto

Authors : Cecil Castelluci and Jason Fry

Illustrated by: Phil Noto

This story takes place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. It effectively takes the place of Shadows of the Empire.

This was good. It's basically telling the story of how they amassed the fleet you see in Jedi without the Empire finding out.  To do this Leia makes a decision I found sketchy ethically. I cringed with a silent oh no, no, no going on in my head as I read her plan.  You watched her struggle with her decision when her worst fears are realized. It was also a reminder that hard decisions had to be made for the greater good. I liked that this book forced you to think.  Wait,  is this really a middle grade reader?

Also, I love how the Luke/Han/Leia dynamic is handled.  Leia is coming to terms with how she feels for Han. And though pre-Jedi Leia and Luke's  relationship isn't creepy. I liked  that the question is asked by those in power, does Leia have the right to go after Han, does risking her life conflict with her duty to the Alliance? Great question and in the end a great well explained answer.  The epilogue and prologue take place around the new movie and definitely  piqued my interest,  shaking my view of the relationships between certain old and new characters. Oh and I got teary at parts of the story so I was definitely emotionally invested.

This book came close to what I expected the tie in books to do.

I gave it 3.5 stars and not higher because the writing was not as strong as I would like.  But the story- I loved the story.  I loved the questions and issues it raised.

I found this happened with the prequels,  the books written for younger readers captured the heart of Star Wars more than the books geared towards adults.