Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg

— feeling amazing
Updraft - Fran Wilde

Author: Fran Wilde

Rating: 5 stars

Book Blurb:  Welcome to a world of wind and bone, songs and silence, betrayal and courage. Kirit Densira cannot wait to pass her wingtest and begin flying as a trader by her mother's side, being in service to her beloved home tower and exploring the skies beyond. When Kirit inadvertently breaks Tower Law, the city's secretive governing body, the Singers, demand that she become one of them instead. In an attempt to save her family from greater censure, Kirit must give up her dreams to throw herself into the dangerous training at the Spire, the tallest, most forbidding tower, deep at the heart of the City.

As she grows in knowledge and power, she starts to uncover the depths of Spire secrets. Kirit begins to doubt her world and its unassailable Laws, setting in motion a chain of events that will lead to a haunting choice, and may well change the city forever-if it isn't destroyed outright.

This book was great. While I could definitely feel an Anne McCaffrey influence,  this story elevates itself due to how unique it is. The world building was amazing. I was completely immersed.

When we first meet Kirit Densira, she wants nothing more than to be a Trader and follow in her mom's footsteps, arranging trades between the many Towers and transporting food and medicine. Things go awry when she breaks one of the Tower Laws. This puts her on the radar of the Singers- the mysterious governing clan that enforces Tower Law. What follows is quite a bit of intrigue as we learn not everything is as it seems when it comes to the Towers and the Singers.  I liked knowing as little as possible as to the story going in and enjoyed seeing it unfold, so I will stop there with my synopsis.

This book was difficult to put down and I got quite attached to the characters.  It is well written and moves as a steady pace, no part lagged for me. The world itself was fascinating with its laws and the hierarchy of the Towers.

Updraft can act as a standalone, so no worries as to cliff hangers.  I'm not sure if there will be another book.  But I wouldn't mind revisiting.

I definitely recommend this book to fans of fantasy or if you're just in a mood for a good story to immerse yourself in.