Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Big Chili
Julia Buckley
Progress: 34 %
Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Claudia Gray
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Murder at Longbourn

Murder at Longbourn - Tracy Kiely

Author: Tracey Kiely

Series: An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #1

Rating: 3 stars

Book Blurb: Planning New Year’s resolutions to rid her life of all things unhealthy, Elizabeth Parker has dumped fatty foods, processed sugar, and her two-timing boyfriend. Indeed, the invitation to join her Aunt Winnie for a How to Host a Murder Party on New Year’s Eve at Winnie’s new Cape Cod B and B comes just in time. But when the local wealthy miser ends up the unscripted victim, Elizabeth must unearth old secrets and new motives in order to clear her beloved aunt of suspicion. The suspects include the town gossip, a haughty rich woman, and an antiques business owner much enamored of his benefactress, a Mrs. Kristell Dubois. If that isn’t bad enough, Elizabeth must also contend with her childhood nemesis, Peter McGowan---a man she suspects has only matured in chronological years---and her suspicions about his family’s interest in Winnie’s inn.

Yesterday, her only worry was of ever finding her Mr. Darcy. Now she has a murder to solve. Is it any wonder her resolution to achieve inner poise is in tatters?

Overall not bad. I enjoyed the references to Austen's works. I smiled at the quotes and the borrowed characters from the books. The mystery was well done - enough red herrings with a nice twist at the end. I liked Elizabeth (the main character)'s sense of humor.

I only gave it three stars because I wasn't as engrossed as I wanted to be. I enjoyed reading it when I did but I wasn't in a rush to get back to it. That being said, this book is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. A quick, enjoyable read.