Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Prisoner in Malta: A Christopher Marlowe Mystery - Phillip DePoy

Author: Phillip DePoy

Series:  A Christopher Marlowe #1

Rating: 3. 5 stars

I received this book free in the hopes that I would review it. The opinion that this was an enjoyable historical mystery is purely my own.

Book Blurb: In 1583, the nineteen-year-old Christopher Marlowe---with a reputation as a brawler, a womanizer, a genius, and a social upstart at Cambridge University---is visited by a man representing Marlowe's benefactors. There are rumors of a growing plot against her majesty Queen Elizabeth I, and the Queen's spymaster, Sir Francis Walsingham, has charged young Marlowe with tracking down the truth. The path to that truth seems to run through an enigmatic prisoner held in complete seclusion in a heavily guarded dungeon in Malta. Marlowe must use every bit of his wits, his skills, and his daring to unravel one of the greatest mysteries in history and help uncover and unravel scheme of assassination and invasion, one involving the government of Spain, high ranking English nobles, and even Pope himself.

Christopher Marlowe---Elizabethan playwright, poet, and spy---is one of the most enigmatic figures in Renaissance England. The son of a shoemaker from Canterbury, he attended Cambridge University on scholarship and, while frequently in trouble, was bailed out through the intercession of Queen Elizabeth I's Privy Council. Long rumored to have been an agent on behalf of the Queen's spymaster, Edgar Award winner Phillip DePoy's new series brings Marlowe and his times to life.

I have mixed feelings about this book.

Overall I enjoyed it. I laughed quite a bit. And I kept turning the pages to figure out the mysteries presented in this book. But I have to admit the twists upon twists upon twists got a tad tiring, borderline ridiculous really, and made my head spin. BUT I enjoyed this novel. I thought it was a fun read. Marlowe is arrogant but competent. And the other characters were entertaining in spite of the fact I had a hard time trusting well... anyone in the book. But the story moved along at a good pace, didn't lag and was entertaining.