Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

— feeling amazing
Nefertiti - Michelle Moran

Author: Michelle Moran

Rating: 4.5 stars

I really enjoyed this book about Nefertiti. This was definitely the best of Moran's historical fiction novels I've read so far. It was more dense and the scope was greater than in her other books.

The story is told from the viewpoint of Nefertiti's younger sister Mutny, who is a real historical figure.  I liked how Moran played up the family dynamics.  Though royalty- the push/pull between the family members rang true and were very relatable.  There were so many times I wand Mutny to just walk away and live apart and in peace but she kept returning back to her self absorbed sister's side.  Why? Because she was family. Understanding the religious and historic significance of a lot of character's actions should have been difficult but Moran made it accessible.

We follow Nefertiti from when she becomes Queen through her reign with Pharaoh. I always felt, being they viewed Pharaoh as a god,  that amount of power has to have devastatingly bad consequences. But it makes for riveting reading. The erratic power hungry behavior of Pharaoh made the plot unpredictable (if you didn't know the history) and kept me turning the pages.  So did that ending which deals with the plague. It read like horror novel - this morning I was all "Lock the door Mutny! Stop going outside!!!!" Such reading stress.

A note: I did enjoy the afterword and historical notes which set up Heretic Queen which is Nefertiti's sequel - something I didn't know. I will definitely be reading it.  Moran breaks down what's historical and what's fiction for you, which I appreciated,

Highly recommend.