Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

— feeling grin
The Warrior's Apprentice - Lois McMaster Bujold

Author: Lois McMaster Bujold

Rating: 3.5 stars

This is the 3rd or 4th book in the series depending on which list you use, so I won't get into plot cuz spoilers.

I enjoyed this book. It took me a while to finish it. I will confess, I missed Cordelia and Lord Vorkosigan.  They were supporting characters in this book,  so I needed to make an adjustment.  But I'm on board now. As I've said before, Bujold's writing has such moments of surprise eloquence that I look forward to that jolt of "Wow I love that way that was said," when I read her work.

Miles is such smooth talker. He can talk himself into and out of the CRAZIEST situations. At the end of this book, I could not believe how he got from point A to point B.  This was such a well done, entertaining story. I enjoyed the political aspect of the story more so than the mercenary part of it. I was right back into it at the end. Bujold has a gift for tackling serious issues, yet balancing it with humor and making you think.

I will throw my two cents in and say I don't think this book should be read first. I've read in more than one blog/review/article the advice to just "start with this one it's ok!". Nope. I disagree. Certain happenings with Bothari would have had such a different response from me had I not read the two previous books. My response to what happened with him I think is the intended one, whereas otherwise I would've been what the WHAT? had I not had the background.   I guess you could wait for the big denouement if you choose to read the first two books later, but I definitely preferred knowing.

Definite recommend.

My omnibus has The Mountains of Mourning next. Looking forward to it.