Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Blue Castle
L.M. Montgomery
Progress: 68 %
David Copperfield (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Charles Dickens, Radhika Jones
Progress: 32 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Hyperion

Hyperion - Dan Simmons

Author: Dan Simmons

Rating: 5 stars

Book Blurb: On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike.  There are those who worship it.  There are those who fear it.  And there are those who have vowed to destroy it.  In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all.  On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives.  Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret.  And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

I debate on how much plot to include in this review as discovering the many layers of this novel was part of the fun of reading it, so I won't reveal much beyond the blurb.

In short, this book is amazing.

Its scope is insane. You cross worlds as well as time. Even the writing style changes depending on the story. The overall story is told in a fashion reminiscent of the Canterbury Tales wherein each pilgrim tells their individual story as the novel progresses. My favorite is the story of Sal and his daughter Rachel. When the book starts you realize the Shrike the pilgrims are going to see is a scary, scary creature. People often don't survive an encounter.  I would hold my breath reading about it,  the Shrike is made up of your worst nightmares. Then you realize Sal is taking his infant daughter Rachel to see this thing, and you wonder what in the world?  But when you get to Sal's story and find out why- wow is all I will say.

The writing is sooooo good. It's very literary- poetry is sprinkled throughout. John Keats - his life, his works are expertly woven throughout this story.  This man can write.

Things I didn't like?  I liked certain stories better than others. I think the second story, Kassad's, was my least favorite. But overall the stories were well done.

I don't know what to say beyond go read it. Just read it.

Definite recommend. It's a five star read.