Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

Authors:  Amy Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Rating: 4 stars

Book Blurb: It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other's arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever? Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won't be the same people who landed on it. The first in a sweeping science fiction trilogy, These Broken Stars is a timeless love story about hope and survival in the face of unthinkable odds.

This was good, very good. I was going to give it three stars but the tense ending that made me go over on my lunch hour at work (oops!), because I just HAD to know what happens,  bumped it up a star.

I really enjoyed the writing. The mystery of the "Whispers" was well done and reminded me of a certain episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I was scared at one point that this science fiction story was going to blur into fantasy as I didn't think there was way to bring it on home without doing so. Thankfully I had no reason to fear.

The resolution left me with questions. Lots of em. Thankfully I already have the next book from the library on deck.