Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Tea Rose

The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

Author: Jennifer Donnelly

Series: The Tea Rose#1

Rating: 4 stars

Book Blurb: East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

This book took me nearly a year to finish. Don't let that fool you, as I enjoyed reading it every time I picked it up. I really enjoy Donnelly's writing, she knows how to pull you into the story. Following Fiona and Joe as they grow up together, fall in love and then overcome an insane amount of obstacles ( this book is long y'all)  made this a comfort read.  True, this book is filled with soap-opera- like coincidences that definitely made me roll my eyes a couple of times. But the overall story is well done - the thriller element was tense enough, the romance was good and the rags to riches story was compelling.

Each book in this series is a tome and I've already started the next one.

And cover love! Hats off to whomever picked the covers for these books, they're gorgeous!

Definitely recommend for those who love family sagas and historical fiction with a dash of romance.