Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Progress: 2 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Between Two Fires

Between Two Fires: A Novel - Mark Noce

I received this book free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  The opinion that it is a decent historical fiction novel is purely my own.

"Saxon barbarians threaten to destroy medieval Wales. Lady Branwen becomes Wales' last hope to unite their divided kingdoms when her father betroths her to a powerful Welsh warlord, the Hammer King. But the fledgling alliance is fraught with enemies from within and without as Branwen becomes the target of assassination attempts and courtly intrigue. A young woman in a world of fierce warriors, she seeks to assert her own authority and preserve Wales against the barbarians. But when she falls for a young hedge knight named Artagan, her world threatens to tear itself apart.

Caught between her duty to her people and her love of a man she cannot have, Branwen must choose whether to preserve her royal marriage or to follow her heart. Somehow she must save her people and remain true to herself, before Saxon invaders and a mysterious traitor try to destroy her."

This book was a solid ok.  This story is written in first person present tense. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but the story got nice and twisty about half way through and stopped me from DNFing it. The main character, Branwen is independent and take charge enough to push this book out of damsel in distress territory.  After she appeared a tad shallow in the first half, there was definite growth which I liked.  I liked the story in and of itself. It's a quick, enjoyable read.

I'd recommend it.