Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Blue Castle
L.M. Montgomery
Progress: 68 %
David Copperfield (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Charles Dickens, Radhika Jones
Progress: 32 %
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Theft of Swords

— feeling happy
Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) - Michael J. Sullivan

Author: Michael J. Sullivan

Rating: 4.5 stars

Book Blurb: They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the murder of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

I really, really enjoyed this compilation of the first two books in the Riyria Revelations series - The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha. I think in the future I will review the books individually to keep things moving along.

What’s great about these books is Michael Sullivan does not try to reinvent the wheel. This is not genre bending fantasy, it’s just good fantasy - and that’s all I ask for. It reminded me of Star Wars in that in the beginning the story was simple. Someone killed the king, our two main characters have been framed for it. Now let’s follow them as they get themselves out of this mess. But wait – there at the end – seems there more to all this than meets the eye. I loved the last second twists that are offhandedly thrown in there but that you know contribute to the overall story arc. Each of these stories had one of those moments, making me smile.

Overall, I enjoyed these two stories – they were fun to read. Not to say Sullivan is afraid to take chances. People die. I did the classic, “Noooooooooo!” every time someone did. So yes, bad things happen. However, the camaraderie between Hadrian and Royce is enjoyable. These two have been friends a long time and it shows in their banter. I will definitely enjoy reading the prequel series explaining how they met. I’m eager to continue on with the story and have the two compilations on deck and ready to go.

Highly recommend.