Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Crêpes of Wrath: A Pancake House Mystery - Sarah Fox-Davies

Author: Sarah Fox

Series: A Pancake House Mystery # 1

Rating: 3 stars

Book Blurb: When Marley McKinney’s aging cousin, Jimmy, is hospitalized with pneumonia, she agrees to help run his pancake house while he recovers. With its rustic interior and syrupy scent, the Flip Side Pancake House is just as she pictured it—and the surly chef is a wizard with crêpes. Marley expects to spend a leisurely week or two in Wildwood Cove, the quaint, coastal community where she used to spend her summers, but then Cousin Jimmy is found murdered, sprawled on the rocks beneath a nearby cliff.

After she stumbles across evidence of stolen goods in Jimmy’s workshop, Marley is determined to find out what’s really going on in the not-so-quiet town of Wildwood Cove. With help from her childhood crush and her adopted cat, Flapjack, Marley sinks her teeth into the investigation. But if she’s not careful, she’s going to get burned by a killer who’s only interested in serving up trouble.

Not bad for the first in a series. I enjoyed reading it... for the most part.

What I liked:    The story moved at a nice pace. The mystery was decent - there were some nice red herrings to keep you guessing. The story does not seem to be weighed down by a love triangle so that's a definite plus. Yay!

What I didn't Like:    For some reason, I failed to connect with the characters in this series. I didn't feel they had any depth to them. Even the main character, Marley. When she's revealing a pretty dark back story - unusual for a cozy but kudos to the author for trying this - I felt a lack of empathy. The narrative didn't engender the right amount of emotion for what I was reading.  This is what kept the book at 3 stars for me. I kept reading to find out what happened, but I wasn't emotionally invested. I may pick up the next book, but I'm not going out of my way.