Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg

An Extraordinary Union

An Extraordinary Union - Alyssa Cole

Author: Alyssa Cole

Rating: 5 Stars

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. My opinion that this is the best historical romance I've read is purely my own.

I'm not a huge fan of historical romance novels but this book was amazing.

When I first read the synopsis- that a freed slave with an eidetic memory is employed as a Pinkerton detective and  is sent back to be a slave so she can spy for Union forces ... and then falls in love with her white colleague, I said yes please. Cuz if you can pull off that daunting of a premise without making me face palm, you deserve the slow clap.

Ladies and gentleman, the slow clap.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

This book had me tense, freaking out. It was a roller coaster ride. I loved how strong she was and how much saving she did even in the confines of the times. She was highly intelligent and definitely a true heroine.

And Malcolm, her colleague. *cue swoon* Oh my.

This is a series and I am hooked. Looking forward to reading the next one.

Highly recommend!

Cover love!

Oh yes and the book blurb:

As the Civil War rages between the states, a courageous pair of spies plunge fearlessly into a maelstrom of ignorance, deceit, and danger, combining their unique skills to alter the course of history and break the chains of the past . . .

Elle Burns is a former slave with a passion for justice and an eidetic memory. Trading in her life of freedom in Massachusetts, she returns to the indignity of slavery in the South—to spy for the Union Army.

Malcolm McCall is a detective for Pinkerton's Secret Service. Subterfuge is his calling, but he’s facing his deadliest mission yet—risking his life to infiltrate a Rebel enclave in Virginia.

Two undercover agents who share a common cause—and an undeniable attraction—Malcolm and Elle join forces when they discover a plot that could turn the tide of the war in the Confederacy's favor. Caught in a tightening web of wartime intrigue, and fighting a fiery and forbidden love, Malcolm and Elle must make their boldest move to preserve the Union at any cost—even if it means losing each other . . .