Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Murder in Mayfair: An Atlas Catesby Mystery
D. M. Quincy
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

I Work at a Public Library

I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks - Gina Sheridan

Author: Gina Sheridan

Rating: 4.5 stars

Book Blurb:

Straight from the library--the strange and bizarre, ready to be checked out!

From a patron's missing wetsuit to the scent of crab cakes wafting through the stacks, I Work at a Public Library showcases the oddities that have come across Gina Sheridan's circulation desk. Throughout these pages, she catalogs her encounters with local eccentrics as well as the questions that plague her, such as, "What is the standard length of eyebrow hairs?" Whether she's helping someone scan his face onto an online dating site or explaining why the library doesn't have any dragon autobiographies, Sheridan's bizarre tales prove that she's truly seen it all.

Stacked high with hundreds of strange-but-true stories, I Work at a Public Library celebrates librarians and the unforgettable patrons that roam the stacks every day.

This was a lot of fun. The section on gratitude- showing the way the library has helped people and the ways they've expressed it - was my favorite and made me bump it up a star from my original rating.

Some of these were really funny.  I knocked it half a star because these books always walk a fine line. It can seem like you're mocking or making fun of patrons in a way that might seem a little cruel. There were a couple of instances that were borderline. Uncomfortable, I couldn't give it a 5 star stamp.

But there was plenty to amuse and make me smile otherwise. And I liked how it brought home how helpful the library was and still is in people's lives. The account about the man finalizing his work visa application and begging the librarian for help comes to mind. That part and the touching outcome brought a tear to my eye.

Overall, definitely recommend.