Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

The Trouble With Mirrors

The Trouble with Mirrors - Charlotte Elkins, Aaron Elkins

RATING: 4 STARS

This was an enjoyable entry in the Alix London series. It was light and there was some progress made on the personal front when it comes to Alix's love life.

The cast of characters are back, and this time the story revolves around Tiny, a regular character and a reformed art forger who served as a surrogate uncle to Alix. He has gone missing and so has the painting he gave to Alix when she was a child. The mystery as to what happened to him and the painting isn't terribly hard to figure out, but I really enjoy the way the Elkins team flesh out their characters- minor ones get a rich backstory that makes you care, adding to the tension of the novel.

Overall I enjoyed it.

One thing that makes these novels stand out is the inclusion of real art pieces and how they are cleverly woven into the story. In this entry they featured this piece called The Marriage of Giovanni And Giovanna Cenami by Jan Van Eyck :

Related image

They talked about the reflection in the mirror, something I probably wouldn't have noticed being a novice and all. But I like that each book makes me broaden my horizons and provides some insight into a world I know little of.

Recommend if you are into cozy and/or mysteries in general.