Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg

The Big Chili

The Big Chili - Julia Buckley

Author: Julia Buckley

Rating:  4 stars

Book Blurb:  After dreaming for years of owning her own catering company, Lilah has made a start into the food world through her Covered Dish business, covertly cooking for her neighbors who don’t have the time or skill to do so themselves, and allowing them to claim her culinary creations as their own. While her clientele is strong, their continued happiness depends on no one finding out who’s really behind the apron.

So when someone drops dead at a church Bingo night moments after eating chili that Lilah made for a client, the anonymous chef finds herself getting stirred into a cauldron of secrets, lies, and murder—and going toe to toe with a very determined and very attractive detective. To keep her clients coming back and her business under wraps, Lilah will have to chop down the list of suspects fast, because this spicy killer has acquired a taste for homicide…

I really enjoyed this first in a series. Lilah is a quirky MC. She always has a song stuck in her head and loves to sing, though apparently not well. I liked her.  The premise is unusual and I wasn't sure it would work - a woman who clandestinely cooks for others and allows them to pass the food off as their own.  My opinion is it does and Ms. Buckley doesn't shy away from the problems this can and did cause for our MC.

The mystery takes a back seat to the characters, which was ok by me as the town was full of people I enjoyed getting to know.

I already have the next two on request at the library.

Definitely recommend.