Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes: A Mystery (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries)
Leonard Goldberg

To Fudge or Not to Fudge - Nancy CoCo

Author: Nancy Coco

Series: A Candy Coated Mystery #2

Rating 4.5

Book Blurb: Life is sweet for Allie McMurphy, proud owner of Historic McMurphy Hotel and Fudge Shop on Mackinac Island--until murder and deception leave a bitter taste. . .

Mulch Ado About Murder

With summer in bloom and tourists afoot, Allie is out walking her pup, Mal, when the curious canine digs up a bone from under a flowering lilac bush. The bone leads to a toe that's missing a body. For the successful confectionaire it's only the first in a series of sour events in the middle of the island's Lilac Fest. When her stint on a cooking reality show swirls up a trail of foul play, Allie will have to outwit a cunning killer if she wants to continue living la dolce vida. ,..

This is shaping up to be a solid series. It gets an extra half star for being a mystery that left me with no clue as to what was going on until the author revealed the killer.

What did I like? I liked the writing. It was engaging and easy.  I liked Allie, she's a humorous, family oriented MC who loves her dog Mal. I  absolutely loved Mal! He is an adorable character who kept the mystery plot moving with his digging discoveries. I also enjoyed the feel of Mackinac Island. It is a fictional place I will enjoy returning to in future installments. And this book had me craving fudge something fierce.

My one ding is that the story had a love triangle and the romantic scenes,  which I assumed are supposed to have me rooting for one guy or the other, are written with about as much emotion as reading paint cans.

But other than that... this was an enjoyable read.