Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Hope Divided

A Hope Divided (The Loyal League) - Alyssa Cole

Author: Alyssa Cole

Series: The Loyal League #2

Rating: 3.5 stars

Book Blurb: For three years of the War Between the States, Marlie Lynch has helped the cause in peace: with coded letters about anti-Rebel uprisings in her Carolina woods, tisanes and poultices for Union prisoners, and silent aid to fleeing slave and Freeman alike. Her formerly enslaved mother's traditions and the name of a white father she never knew have protected her--until the vicious Confederate Home Guard claims Marlie's home for their new base of operations in the guerilla war against Southern resistors of the Rebel cause.

Unbeknowst to those under her roof, escaped prisoner Ewan McCall is sheltering in her laboratory. Seemingly a quiet philosopher, Ewan has his own history with the cruel captain of the Home Guard, and a thoughtful but unbending strength Marlie finds irresistible.

When the revelation of a stunning family secret places Marlie's freedom on the line, she and Ewan have to run for their lives into the hostile Carolina night. Following the path of the Underground Railroad, they find themselves caught up in a vicious battle that could dash their hopes of love--and freedom--before they ever cross state lines.

****I received this book free in exchange for an honest review****

Not as good as the first book, but to be fair - the first book was a tough act to follow. Still - it was a good read. This book focuses on minor characters from the first book.  While I did read this in two sittings as it was fast paced - I did have a been there/done that feeling that I couldn't shake. The two stories are similar with the first being better developed. Also the romance seemed to take a back seat to the other themes throughout the book. I'm not complaining at all, but if you came to this book looking just for that you could be slightly disappointed. And I enjoyed that in both books, Ms. Cole fleshes out parts of the Civil war and Underground Railroad that aren't often explored in historical fiction. You can see the research. There's meat to this story as well as in the first book in the series.

If you like historical romance, this is a good read. So I'd recommend it.