Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The English Wife

The English Wife - Lauren Willig

Author: Lauren Willig

Rating: 3 stars

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

Book Blurb: Annabelle and Bayard Van Duyvil live a charmed life: he’s the scion of an old Knickerbocker family, she grew up in a Tudor manor in England, they had a whirlwind romance in London, they have three-year-old twins on whom they dote, and he’s recreated her family home on the banks of the Hudson and renamed it Illyria. Yes, there are rumors that she’s having an affair with the architect, but rumors are rumors and people will gossip. But then Bayard is found dead with a knife in his chest on the night of their Twelfth Night Ball, Annabelle goes missing, presumed drowned, and the papers go mad. Bay’s sister, Janie, forms an unlikely alliance with a reporter to uncover the truth, convinced that Bay would never have killed his wife, that it must be a third party, but the more she learns about her brother and his wife, the more everything she thought she knew about them starts to unravel. Who were her brother and his wife, really? And why did her brother die with the name George on his lips?

What Drew Me to this Book:  I've read a book by Lauren Willig before and enjoyed it. Also, the blurb was intriguing.

What I liked:  Hats off to Ms.Willig for taking this story and turning it completely on its head.  This book was unpredictable. It was so different it kept me turning the pages when the story wasn't thrilling me. Overall, I enjoyed the relationships between the characters as well as unraveling the mystery behind the deaths that took place in the opening chapters of the book.

What I Didn't Like: The mystery, once unraveled, is depressing. Lately, I don't enjoy angst.  Emotionally, there has to 'something' in a story to counterbalance such sadness. The originality almost got me there, but in the end, it fell short. There's just too much 'depressing and sad' IRL right now for me to find it entertaining. Again, just my personal opinion.

I gave this read three stars.