Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Nightingale

The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah

Author: Kristin Hannah

Rating: 5 stars

Book Blurb: With courage, grace, and powerful insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah captures the epic panorama of World War II and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women's war. The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn France—a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime.

I read this book earlier this year and said I would post a review when I had gotten my emotions under control...

...and then never did.

Seeing it at the top of this historical fiction book list reminded me to post my review, as I do want to read more books on that list.  My goal is to work through the list to discover reads I may not have considered otherwise.

Anyways the review!

This book was hyped quite a bit and in my opinion, the hype is well deserved. It's emotional and it's gripping. I struggled with the weightiness of both sisters' decisions- Hannah does an amazing job of letting you inside their heads as they make very different and difficult choices.  I told myself I would not cry but the last three pages left me a blubbering mess at work. I had to go to the bathroom to collect myself.

This book was amazing. It was what good historical fiction should be. I highly recommend it.