Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Mustard Seed

Mustard Seed - Laila Ibrahim

Author: Laila Ibrahim

Rating: 3 stars

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

The bestselling author of Yellow Crocus returns with a haunting and tender story of three women returning to the plantation they once called home.

Oberlin, Ohio, 1868. Lisbeth Johnson was born into privilege in the antebellum South. Jordan Freedman was born a slave to Mattie, Lisbeth’s beloved nurse. The women have an unlikely bond deeper than friendship. Three years after the Civil War, Lisbeth and Mattie are tending their homes and families while Jordan, an aspiring suffragette, teaches at an integrated school.

When Lisbeth discovers that her father is dying, she’s summoned back to the Virginia plantation where she grew up. There she must face the Confederate family she betrayed by marrying an abolitionist. Jordan and Mattie return to Fair Oaks, too, to save the family they left behind, who still toil in oppression. For Lisbeth, it’s a time for reconciliation. For Jordan and Mattie, it’s time for liberation.

As the Johnsons and Freedmans confront the injustice that binds them, as well as the bitterness and violence that seethes at its heart, the women must find the courage to free their families—and themselves—from the past.

I enjoyed this follow up to Yellow Crocus.

While not as good as the first book, it was nice to catch up with the characters and see where they were post- Civil War. It was interesting to read a story about the aftermath of the war and its effect on families who had members on both sides. The book left me emotional.

As often happens with multiple storylines, I became more invested in one storyline over the other. Lisbeth's attempt at reconciliation with her family really struck a chord with me. I could not STAND some of Lisbeth's family members, their cruelty and racism were almost palpable and made me rage. Yet I empathized with Lisbeth's pain as they were still her family. That emotional pull was handled well.

I would definitely recommend both novels in this series.