Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books
Rob Kaplan, Harold Rabinowitz
Progress: 18 %
The Shell Seekers
Rosamunde Pilcher
Progress: 369/582 pages
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Soupcon of Poison

A Soupçon of Poison: Kat Holloway Victorian Mysteries (Kat Holloway Below Stairs Mysteries) - Ashley Gardner, Jennifer Ashley

Author: Jennifer Ashley

Series: Below Stair Mystery .5

Rating: 3.5 stars

This novella is the start to Jennifer Ashley's new historical mystery series.

In case you don't know, Jennifer Ashley aka Ashley Gardner also writes The Captain Lacey Mysteries. I have raved about the Lacey mysteries since I began reading them a couple of years ago.

This new series, called the Below Stairs series, has been picked up by Berkeley and the first book Death Below Stairs came out on January 2nd of this year.

Death Below Stairs (A Below Stairs Mystery) by [Ashley, Jennifer]

I am excited to read it, especially after finishing this novella. In it, we meet Kat Holloway. She is a cook who becomes entangled in a mystery when her employer dies after eating a dinner she has prepared. Holloway sets about trying to clear her name. To help her, there is a young boy named James and his patron Daniel- a swoon-worthy addition to the cast and obvious love interest. Make no mistake, Daniel and his past are the true mystery here. I like how Ashley develops his character, dropping hints as to his background. I have an idea of what might be going on with him as he's definitely not what he appears to be, but I'm not sure and can't wait to read the first book to get more information.

The mystery was decent - not her best after reading so many of the Lacey books, but it was a nice introduction to the characters and made me want more.

Recommend.