Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Read 41 pages out of 583

Middlemarch - George Eliot

I had seen this book on quite a few “Best Novel Ever Written” lists. I want to develop a taste for reading more classics. So last week, I started this one.

I must say when we meet Celia and Dorothea, sisters who live with their uncle, I didn’t know what to make of them. They’re young and naive. Naturally their uncle wants to marry them off because what else is a woman to do. Dorothea - with her reluctance to get married  - didn’t strike me as forward thinking, she just had different tastes.  I understand why she chose Mr. Casaubon as a husband since he seemed to feed her need for intellectual discussion. However,  I didn’t like how she treated Sir James. I empathized with Celia, who tried to tell Dorothea she was being callous to Sir James' feelings when he was obviously interested in her.

I’m curious to see the ramifications of Dorothea’s actions. And also to see what Dorothea reaps as Mr. Casaubon does seem to disregard her plans for helping the town by building cottages. Ah, young and blind idealism.

I did enjoy this closing bit in Chapter 6:

“We mortals, men and women, devour many  a disappointment between breakfast and dinner-time; keep back the tears and look a little pale about the lips, and in answer to inquiries say, “Oh nothing!” Pride helps us; and pride is not a bad thing when it only urges us to hide our own hurts- not to hurt others.”