Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

The Great Alone

The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah

Author: Kristin Hannah

Rating: 3 stars

A Kristin Hannah book is always well-written. The woman can write.  So when I rate her books, I rate her against other works I have read by her. Which is why this book only earned three stars from me.

This book was like watching a car wreck. One long rubbernecking session. It was difficult to put down. This story is told through the thirteen-year-old eyes of Leni, whose father was a POW in Vietnam and has returned home with some severe emotional scars. He is unstable and abusive. He thinks he will cure his behavior with a change of scenery. So he packs up Leni, her mother and they all move to Alaska. Because living somewhere where it’s night for months at a time, insanely cold, and where you are cut off from civilization does wonders for the mind.

I had a knot in my stomach for the duration of the novel. The story follows a textbook abusive relationship plotline, complete with the enabling and rationalizing and continued abuse. The setting of Alaska makes this book stand out, as Hannah’s descriptions really capture its beauty and make you want to visit in spite of everyone warning how hard it is every. other. page.

It was a good read, but not on a subject I want to continue reading about at any rate.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.