Crystena77

Nothing better than a good book...

If it's good, I'll read it! Instagram:  @crystenasbooks

Coming Home
Rosamunde Pilcher
Progress: 445/936 pages
Challenge Participant Professional Reader 80%

Reading progress update: I've read 27%.

Howards End - Mary Gordon, E.M. Forster

Really enjoying this.

I enjoy the writing. I can relate to Margaret, the elder of the two sisters.  Sometimes she makes impulsive decisions, reacting with emotion and then with a clearer head does a 180. When she's wrong she wants to fix it immediately. She's unpredictable. It makes for good reading.

Helen, the younger sister, is an idealist and grates on my nerves a bit. She seems to get lost in her own thoughts to the exclusion of good sense. Though I enjoyed the chapter about Beethoven's Fifth and how she read into the interpretation of the music.  Really shows the power music can have in determining your mood.

All this talk about England and the Continent is really interesting when you realize this book was written in 1910, four years before The Great War.

I always find it interesting when men write female characters because I am female  - whether or not it will feel authentic. I don't know if male readers have the same thoughts when a female writes male characters or writes from their point of view. Right now I find it authentic. There was a point where Mrs. Wilcox asks Margaret whether or not she forgets she's a girl and I couldn't decide if this was done for a plot point or so you forgive Foster if you don't find it to be authentic...or both.

Just my ramblings as I read this.